- This event has passed.
Everything You Need to Know About Treating Pediatric Patients: 2 Days Continuous Hands On with Dr. Doron Kochman & Dr. Sean McLaren
June 14 @ 8:30 am - June 15 @ 4:30 pm
Presenters: Doron Kochman, B.Sc, DDS FAAPD, ABPD & Sean McLaren, DDS, FACD
Date: Friday & Saturday, June 14-15, 2019
Time: 8:30am - 4:30pm (both days)
Sponsored by: Cheng Crowns
CE Credits: 15
AGD Code: 430
Subject: Pediatrics Participation
Breakfast & Lunch Included
limited availability - only 2 spots remaining
This two day continuous hands-on comprehensive course will review the most common issues that clinicians and their staff may encounter when interacting with pediatric patients and their families.
Hands on learning sessions will include:
- Specific restorative techniques:
- Preparation of stainless steel crowns and veneered crowns, esthetic crowns including strip crowns, Cheng crowns
- Modifications to common dental restorative preparations for primary teeth
- Simple interceptive orthodontic measures such as:
- Fitting orthodontic bands
- Fabricating appliances such as Trans-Palatal Arch, Lower Lingual Holding Arch, Band and Loop, Nance, Finger Springs.
- Simple wire bending techniques
- Techniques and hints for cementation of bands
- Techniques to treat ectopically erupting teeth such as the use of Separator elastics and other devices
- Simple treatment options for Cross Bite correction
- Management of commonly occurring cases of oral-facial trauma
- Participants will practice techniques for splinting and repositioning of luxated teeth
- Basic pediatric behavioral techniques including those that can be used when working with patients with special needs
- Practice the use of various forms of restraints and mouth props.
- Fabrication of simple mouth props.
- Practice safely transporting special needs patients in the office,
- Specific pediatric dental equipment
- Practice using positioning aides like special pillows
- Handle various patient stimulation aides
- Specific restorative techniques:
- Identifying and managing age related differences in behavior
- Basic principles of behavior management:
- Identifying what the "true" problem is
- How to control the situation (conversation, behavior)
- Managing the physical environment:
- What we see and what our patients see
- Being a "detective" - interpreting body language
- What to do when kids cry
- Influence of the parent/caregiver
- Considering special needs circumstances:
- Sensory Issues
- Equipment considerations and suggestions for simple and inexpensive modifications of the physical plant
- Restorative considerations unique to pediatric patients:
- tooth preparation
- specific restorative materials
- endodontic considerations and options
- non-invasive techniques
- How does it affect behavior?
- Considerations for managing anxiety in different situations
- Specific management techniques:
- Tell, Show, Do
- Voice Control
- Non-traditional techniques (hypnosis, animal assisted therapy)
- Positioning techniques and aides
- Dealing with "special needs patients"
- Physically challenged - wheel chair accessibility, Blind, Deaf
- Psychologically challenged - Autism, Asperger, Sensory
- Identifying and treating common pathology:
- Orthodontic considerations - missing teeth, extra teeth, delayed eruption, ectopic eruption, cross bites, open bites, habits
- Common malformations - physical and dental
- Periodontal considerations
- Eating disorders
- Identification, management, prevention
- When pharmacological behavioral management techniques are needed:
- What are your management options? (inhaled, oral, intravenous, general anesthesia)
- Precautions and considerations
Treating pediatric patients can be both fun and financially rewarding for the clinician and the office staff. Come join us to learn how!
About the Speaker
Doron Kochman, B.Sc, DDS, FAAPD, ABPD
Dr. Doron Kochman is a board certified pediatric dentist in full time private practice in Pittsford New York, at Pittsford Pediatric Dentistry, (www.PittsfordPediatricDentistry.com). He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, and a Diplomate of the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry. He is also a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Pediatric Dentistry at the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, and the Eastman Institute for Oral Health in Rochester NY where he teaches pediatric dentistry to both post-graduate pediatric dental residents, and to general practice dental residents. Dr. Kochman is a member of numerous professional organizations and has published articles and lectured nationally on various subjects related to pediatric dentistry
About the Speaker
Sean McLaren, DDS
Sean McLaren, DDS is Chairman of Pediatric Dentistry at The University of Rochester, Eastman Institute for Oral Health. He is a board certified pediatric dentist and former residency program director. Dr. McLaren has an interest in access to care, resident education and teledentistry. He is a member of the ADA, NYSDA, 7th DDS, AAPD and a fellow in The American College of Dentists.
Here's What Past Attendees Have Said About This Speaker
"Dr. Kochman is an excellent lecturer with a world of information that he conveys easily."
- Dr. Gisela Lopez, Englewood Cliffs, NJ
"Great course. Dr. Kochman is well informed. Presented material well. A lot of great/helpful information presented."
"Dr. Kochman is very knowledgeable and is a tremendous speaker."
- Manmeet Arora, CT
"I love the location is very comfortable and peaceful. The doctor is very dynamic, loved his presentation with up to date knowledge."
- Ms. Lilivette Gomez, Parsippany, NJ
"The course was very comprehensive. Appreciated the speaker's openness for questions and conversation."
- Dr. Aryanna Bradshaw Sydnor, East Orange, NJ
"Instructor answers all your questions and gives you tips you can apply in your practice."
- Dr. Ricardo Hector, Bowie, MD
"I thought the whole course was interesting and very informative. Dr. Kochman was very nice. This was definitely what I was looking for"
- Mrs. Mary Lynn Scheider-Paris, Jackson, NJ
"I really enjoyed this course and felt Dr. Kochman was very informative and loves what he does."
- Ms. Natalie Pomponio, Union, NJ
"Dr. Kochman was great, this course was dynamic and went over interesting topics with awesome explanation."
*limited to 22 attendees