- This event has passed.
Hands On Laser Usage for Oral/Perio Surgical Procedures and Non-Surgical Perio with Dr. Scott Parker and Gwen Smukowski in South Jersey
September 14 @ 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Learn how to identify, diagnose, and treat a variety of oral conditions using light based therapy. By combining laser technologies with enhanced oral cancer detection, you will not only increase business revenue, but you will also vastly improve your patient experience and the efficiency of clinical procedures.
Presenters: Scott Parker, DDS & Gwen Smukowski, RDH, BS, MBA
Date: Saturday, September 14, 2019
Time: 8:00am - 4:30pm
Sponsored by: Diamond Dental Supply
Location: The Falls at DoubleTree by Hilton, Mt Laurel, NJ 08054
CE Credits: 7.5
AGD Code: 490
Subject: Periodontics Participation
*Breakfast & Lunch Included
Participants will learn how to determine which laser is right for their office and will be empowered to move forward with confidence in making the choice that best meets their needs. Attendees will also learn why using an oral cancer screening tool is rapidly becoming the standard of care in dentistry.
In this course we will:
- Review the paradigm shifts in periodontics that have led to a medical approach to this infectious disease process.
- Introduce essential diagnostic and prognostic testing that identify periodontal pathogens and genetic susceptibility, providing insight to controlling inflammation.
- Discuss the critical role lasers play in current treatment modalities.
- Highlight photo bio-modulation and learn how low-level lasers stimulate the repair mechanism.
- Discuss communication techniques to increase case acceptance.
- Uncover the hidden economic powerhouse within your hygiene department.
- Create team awareness around the surgical applications of the laser.
- Scientific basis for using lasers in your practice
- Learn about different types of lasers, cold lasers, and oral cancer screening tools
- Current methods of diagnosis and treatments using lasers
- Gain an understanding of tissue chromophores and how different lasers target those tissues
- Safe application of laser energy in your practice
- Understanding of the current standard of care in oral cancer detection
- Maximize return on investment with lasers
- Learn about cold laser therapy and how it can speed recovery and improve healing
- See first-hand examples from experienced clinicians
- Hands on experience with surgical and non-surgical lasers
In the hands-on portion, performed on pig mandibles, you will learn:
- Pocket bacterial reduction
- Herpetic lesions and aphthous ulcers
- Photo bio-modulation
- Excisions and incisional biopsies
- Simplified implant uncovery
- Effective case typing and treatment planning
- Knowledge of how to bill for laser therapies and maximize insurance benefits
This course is designed as a team approach.
It is strongly recommended that doctors, hygienists and administrative leaders all participate.
About the Speaker
Scott Parker, DDS
For over 20 years, Dr. Parker has delivered lectures at local study clubs, state meetings and internationally Since graduating from Loma Linda University School of Dentistry, he has committed his career to improving oral health care delivery. As a clinical instructor for the Northwest Aesthetic Continuum (previously run through the University of Washington), he recognized that technology, aesthetics, and biology can easily coexist.
Dr. Parker has a deep, hands-on understanding of dental aesthetics, lasers, implants, functional reconstruction, and dental technologies. His professional affiliations include or have included: The Academy of RV Tucker Study Clubs, The American Dental Association, American Society for Dental Aesthetics (accredited), The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, and the Academy of Laser Dentistry.
After sixteen years of dental practice experience, Dr. Parker transitioned from clinical dentistry into leadership roles in the dental companies and most recently serves as the Vice President of Sales and Clinical Affairs for Diamond Dental Supply where he supports the hands-on, in-office clinical training using lasers.
About the Speaker
Gwen Smukowski, RDH, BS, MBA
Gwen is the Founder of Continuity Consulting, an educator and coach, a national speaker, as well as clinical hygienist in private practice. Gwen maintains her focus on the development and expansion toward excellence in periodontal care and aesthetic/restorative team support. This focus on excellence has taken her worldwide as an instructor and speaker on the subjects of laser-assisted periodontal health, practice management, leadership development, operational excellence, integrated marketing and team based comprehensive dentistry.
Gwen brings this broad prospective of clinical, managerial and academic experiences to her work. As a consultant and coach, her focus is to inspire and empower dental teams with current research, technology, and the systems necessary to reach new levels of growth and success for their practice.
Here's What Past Attendees Have Said About This Speaker
"Great class! Gwen is a great clinician, instructor and all around gem of the industry. The course provided great content and a group of fellow hygienists to learn with. I would recommend Continuity Consulting to anyone looking to invest in their knowledge and increase the depth and scope of their practice."
"Gwen was very knowledgeable on the subject. The clinical portion was very helpful. I feel confident using the laser in practice. Pleasantly surprised by all the attention to detail during the course."
"This was an amazing course. The information given was well laid out. If I had a question or did not understand, all of my questions were clarified!! I feel very confident in my knowledge and the skills learned during the course. I’m ready to bring it back and implement! Thank you"
"Loved the instructor and enjoyed the location! Gwen is very professional and the information they provided was awesome!"
"Great course, really liked the hands-on portion. Great teaching style by Gwen."
"Very knowledgeable about the topic. I felt comfortable asking questions and thought that it was a great course."
Dentist: $495 | Staff (Accompanying Dentist): $225 | Staff: $295
*limited to 24 attendees