Treating Pediatric Patients: A Comprehensive Two Day Continuous Hands-On Course with Dr. Doron Kochman & Dr. Sean McLaren
August 28 @ 8:00 am - August 29 @ 5:00 pm
This two day continuous hands-on comprehensive course will review the most common issues that clinicians and their staff may encounter when interacting with pediatric patients and their families.
Presenters: Doron Kochman, DDS FAAPD, ABPD & Sean McLaren, DDS, FACD
Date: Friday & Saturday, August 28-29, 2020
Time: 8:00am - 5:00pm (both days)
Location: 1060 Main Street, Suite 201, River Edge, NJ 07661
CE Credits: 16
AGD Code: 430
Subject: Pediatrics Participation
Breakfast & Lunch Included
This two day continuous hands-on comprehensive course will cover the most important issues that clinicians and their staff may encounter when interacting with pediatric patients and their families.
- Identifying and managing age related differences in behavior
- Basic principles of behavior guidance:
- Identifying what the "true" problem is
- How to control the situation (conversation, behavior)
- Managing the physical environment:
- What we see and what our patients see
- Being a "detective" - interpreting body language
- What to do when kids cry
- Influence of the parent/caregiver
- Equipment considerations and suggestions for simple and inexpensive modifications of the physical plant
- Restorative considerations unique to pediatric patients:
- tooth preparation
- specific restorative materials
- endodontic considerations and options (pulpotomy, pulpectomy)
- non-invasive techniques
- How does it affect behavior?
- Considerations for managing anxiety in different situations
- Specific management techniques:
- Tell, Show, Do
- Voice Control
- Non-traditional techniques (hypnosis, animal assisted therapy)
- Positioning techniques and aides
- Dealing with "special needs patients"
- Physically challenged - wheel chair accessibility, Visually Challenged, Hearing Challenged
- Psychologically challenged - Autism, Sensory
- Identifying and treating common pathology:
- Orthodontic considerations - missing teeth, extra teeth, delayed eruption, ectopic eruption, cross bites, open bites, habits
- Common malformations - physical and dental
- Periodontal considerations
- Eating disorders
- Identification, management, prevention
- When pharmacological behavioral guidance techniques are needed:
- What are your management options? (inhaled, oral, intravenous, general anesthesia)
- Precautions and considerations
Hands on learning sessions will include:
- Specific restorative techniques:
- Preparation of stainless steel crowns and veneered crowns, esthetic crowns including strip crowns, Cheng crowns
- Modifications to common dental restorative preparations for primary teeth
- Endodontic techniques – Primary Molar Pulpotomy
- Simple interceptive orthodontic measures such as:
- Simple wire bending techniques
- Fitting orthodontic bands and techniques and hints for cementation of bands
- Techniques to treat ectopically erupting teeth such as the use of Separator Elastics, Separator Springs, Brass Ligature Wire, and other device
- Management of commonly occurring cases of oral-facial trauma
- Participants will practice techniques for splinting and repositioning of luxated teeth
- The Use of Hypnosis as a Behavior Guidance Technique for Children
- Participants will be taught and practice simple hypnotic techniques that can be used clinically with patients to manage a variety of issues such as: anxiety, pain, bleeding, parafunctional habits, tolerance with appliances, etc.
- Basic pediatric behavioral guidance techniques and those that can be used specifically when working with patients with special needs
- Practice the use of various forms of restraints and mouth props.
- Fabrication of simple mouth props for use with special needs patients.
- Practice safely transporting special needs patients in the office
- Specific pediatric dental equipment
- Practice using positioning aides like special pillows
- Handle various patient stimulation aides
Treating pediatric patients can be both fun and financially rewarding for the clinician and the office staff. Come join us to learn how!
About the Speakers
Doron Kochman, DDS, FAAPD, ABPD
Dr. Doron Kochman is a board certified pediatric dentist in full time private practice in Pittsford New York, at Pittsford Pediatric Dentistry, (www.PittsfordPediatricDentistry.com). He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, and a Diplomate of the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry. He is also a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Pediatric Dentistry at the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, and the Eastman Institute for Oral Health in Rochester NY where he teaches pediatric dentistry to both post-graduate pediatric dental residents, and to general practice dental residents. Dr. Kochman is a member of numerous professional organizations and has published articles and lectured nationally on various subjects related to pediatric dentistry
Sean McLaren, DDS, FACD
Sean McLaren, DDS is Chairman of Pediatric Dentistry at The University of Rochester, Eastman Institute for Oral Health. He is a board certified pediatric dentist and former residency program director. Dr. McLaren has an interest in access to care, resident education and teledentistry. He is a member of the ADA, NYSDA, 7th DDS, AAPD and a fellow in The American College of Dentists.
"If you see and treat pedo patients in your office, you definitely need to take this course. Dr. Kochman and Dr. McLaren have taught everything that you need to know about pediatric dentistry."
"Best course I've taken in a while, excellent presenters."
"Excellent course. Packed with information."
"Concise and practical information to apply to pediatric dental population...Wire application in its various forms were helpful. Both instructors worked well together incorporating practical knowledge with humor. Great to actually perform some of the theoretical information given in lecture"
"This course exceeded my expectations. The location was excellent and the presenters delivered relevant information tailored to the needs of the participants. I found the hands-on to be a critical component"
- Dr. Jennifer Boyce, Bethel, CT
"Nice comprehensive course on pediatric dentistry. Haven't had a course like this since dental school."
"Awesome course. Very informative. Overall a great course. Really enjoyed it. Both doctors are very knowledgeable and patient with all questions."
early registration $200 off by 5/15/20
*limited to 20 attendees