Oral Medicine & Pathology: A Real Case Presentation Interactive Workshop (Hands-On) with Dr. Patrick Quaranta
(Reschedule date TBD)
May 17 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Presenter: Patrick Quaranta, DMD, MS, FICD, FACD
Date: Sunday, May 17, 2020
Time: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Address: 1060 Main Street, Suite 201, River Edge, NJ 07661
CE Credits: 6
AGD Code: 750
Subject: Oral Medicine, Oral Diagnosis, Oral Pathology Participation
*Breakfast & Lunch Included
Oral Medicine is the discipline of dentistry concerned with:
- oral health of the medically complex patient
- diagnosis and non-surgical management of oral and peri-oral soft tissue lesions
- treatment of orofacial pain not caused by teeth.
This interactive course was designed specifically for NJHPDI and is ideally suited to 20 or fewer participants. The core of the course will be the identification and differential diagnosis of oral soft tissue lesions. Clinical photographs, radiographs and patient histories will be presented to members of the class who will discuss the data and generate additional questions. From these inquiries diagnostic possibilities and probabilities will be discussed and appropriate treatment plans will be formulated.
The course presenter will function as a facilitator rather than a lecturer as the process unfolds. This course will use as the format, the Problem Based Learning (PBL) module with additional data generated using the venue: What we know, What we want to know, Learning issues and Treatment Recommendations. The Biopsychosocial aspects of the patients will also be emphasized.
Treatment planning routine dental care for patients with common and complex medical conditions will also be considered in the discussions.
A hands-on oral cancer technique will be demonstrated by the instructor with special emphasis on examining the extreme posterior aspects of the mouth and oropharynx where the new and increasingly common HPV related oral cancers are identified. The participants will have the opportunity to perform these exams also.
At the completion of this course the participant will, through the powerful process of collaborative learning:
- Understand the principles of the Diagnostic Process
- Appreciate the use and value of “Gold Standard” diagnostics and when their use is indicated and appropriate and, when they should be avoided
- Participate in discussions relating to the Bio-psychosocial aspects of patient treatment planning and care
- Have accessed medical data bases such as PubMed and the Cochrane informatics system.
- Be able to generate treatment regimens for patients who will be receiving Radiation therapy (RT) for oral cancers or are scheduled to receive bisphosphonate therapy
- Be able to generate treatment regimens for patients who have received RT or bisphosphonate therapy
- Develop a working knowledge of the increasingly common autoimmune diseases and subsequent inflammatory soft tissue lesions that patients present with
- Be familiar with some of the follow-up protocols for patients who have various levels of dysplasia indicated on the biopsies they have received for leukoplakia’s or erythroplakia’s
- Have used some of the techniques in examining the extreme posterior aspects of the mouth and oropharynx where HPV related oral cancers my present
Attendees are encouraged to bring their laptop to access medical data bases such as PubMed and the Cochrane informatics system.
About the Speaker:
Patrick Quaranta, DMD, MS, FICD, FACD
Dr. Quaranta graduated from Villanova University in 1968 with a B.A. degree in Philosophy and a B.S. degree in Biological Science. He attended Monmouth University Graduate School of Education during 1968 and 1969.
Dr. Quaranta attended The University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Jersey Dental School where he received his D.M.D. degree in 1972. Immediately after graduation from NJDS he was then invited to become a one-day per week faculty member as an instructor at the New Jersey Dental School and concurrently entered private practice with his father in Highland Park New Jersey. In 1977 he was promoted to Assistant Professor and in 1986 he was promoted to Associate Professor.
Dr. Quaranta, while a faculty member of NJDS in 1991, took on a two-year residency program in TMD disorders and oral medicine/ oro-facial pain.
In 1992 Dr. Quaranta entered the Kean University Graduate School of Psychology where he performed research and obtained an M.S. degree in clinical psychology in 1997.
Dr. Quaranta took over his father’s practice in 1989 and after twenty three years of full time practice in 1995 became a three day per week faculty member and spent two years teaching in the Oral Medicine Division of the Department of Oral Pathology, Biology and Diagnostic Sciences. After twenty-seven years in private practice Dr. Quaranta became a full-time faculty member at NJDS in 2000.
In 1998 Dr. Quaranta was inducted into Omicron Kappa Upsilon (OKU), the national dental academic honor society, and in 1999 was offered a fellowship in the Faculty of the International College of Dentists (FICD).
On September 26, 2001 Dr.Quaranta was inducted into the Master Educator’ Guild and designated a Master Educator. This was a new University Wide program inaugurated by the new University President, Stuart Cook to recognize achievement and ability in biomedical education. It is a University wide distinction awarded to a member of the six schools within the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. New Jersey Dental School is one of the six schools. Dr. Quaranta was the first member to be elected to this award from the Dental School. The school as now the Rutgers School of Dental Medicine
"Dr. Patrick Quaranta is a breath of fresh air. He is a captivating and engaging speaker. He has a wealth of knowledge in the field of oral medicine. I've never been in a CE course where there was so much class participation and lively debate. Where was he when I was in dental school!"
Dr. Martin Stess, Flemington, NJ
"Dr. Quaranta is very knowledgeable and gives a very interesting lecture. I enjoyed the class participation aspect of the course."
Dr. Susan Armstrong, Moorestown, NJ
"Excellent workshop format that reviewed everyday clinical situations that we see in private practice"
Dr. Anthony Corello, Westfield, NJ
early registration $100 off by 3/15/20