Presenter: Patrick Quaranta, DMD, MS, FICD, FACD
Date: Saturday, April 27, 2019
Time: 9:00am - 1:00pm
Location: 1060 Main Street, Suite 201, River Edge, NJ 07661
CE Credits: 4
AGD Code: 157
Subject: Electives - Substance Abuse Lecture
This course is approved for both New York and New Jersey State Substance Abuse CE Requirements
Dentists share with physicians the distinct and unique privilege of the unsupervised prescribing of medications to fellow human beings. With this privilege comes great responsibility as well as great opportunities.
In this course, we will delineate the full team of narcotic analgesics (opioids) and anxiolytic drugs relevant to and appropriate for the maintenance of dental, oral and peri-oral health. This presentation will include in detail:
- Pharmacology of these drugs including mechanism of action and analgesic ceiling effect
- Side effects and contraindications of these medications - special attention will be given to their addiction potential
- DEA scheduling and prescribing of controlled substances and specifically, the prescribing rules, regulations and guidelines recently set forth by New Jersey and New York.
- Biomedical ramifications of addiction/substance abuse, including the disease model of addiction, biopsychosocial predispositions, and genetic susceptibilities.
- The addicted brain
- Methods of identifying drug seeking behavior in our patients as well as addictive behaviors in colleagues, coworkers and family members
- Tachyphylaxis (drug tolerance), psychological dependence, physical dependence and the drugs used in the short-term treatment of substance abuse detox-withdrawal syndromes
- Short-term acute treatment of substance addiction
- Long-term treatment for the psychological dependence d outpatient programs
- The addicted dentist/the addicted colleague
About the Speaker:
Patrick Quaranta, DMD, MS, FICD, FACD
Dr. Quaranta graduated from Villanova University in 1968 with a B.A. degree in Philosophy and a B.S. degree in Biological Science. He attended Monmouth University Graduate School of Education during 1968 and 1969.
Dr. Quaranta attended The University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Jersey Dental School where he received his D.M.D. degree in 1972. Immediately after graduation from NJDS he was then invited to become a one-day per week faculty member as an instructor at the New Jersey Dental School and concurrently entered private practice with his father in Highland Park New Jersey. In 1977 he was promoted to Assistant Professor and in 1986 he was promoted to Associate Professor.
Dr. Quaranta, while a faculty member of NJDS in 1991, took on a two-year residency program in TMD disorders and oral medicine/ oro-facial pain. In 1992 Dr. Quaranta entered the Kean University Graduate School of Psychology where he performed research and obtained an M.S. degree in clinical psychology in 1997.
Dr. Quaranta took over his father’s practice in 1989 and after twenty three years of full time practice in 1995 became a three day per week faculty member and spent two years teaching in the Oral Medicine Division of the Department of Oral Pathology, Biology and Diagnostic Sciences. After twenty-seven years in private practice Dr. Quaranta became a full-time faculty member at NJDS in 2000.
In 1998 Dr. Quaranta was inducted into Omicron Kappa Upsilon (OKU), the national dental academic honor society, and in 1999 was offered a fellowship in the Faculty of the International College of Dentists (FICD). On September 26, 2001 Dr.Quaranta was inducted into the Master Educator’ Guild and designated a Master Educator. This was a new University Wide program inaugurated by the new University President, Stuart Cook to recognize achievement and ability in biomedical education. It is a University wide distinction awarded to a member of the six schools within the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. New Jersey Dental School is one of the six schools. Dr. Quaranta was the first member to be elected to this award from the Dental School. The school as now the Rutgers School of Dental Medicine. On April 19, 2002, Dr. Quaranta was accepted as a Fellow in the American College of Dentists (FACD)
Here's What Past Attendees Have Said About This Speaker
"Dr. Quaranta was an entertaining and knowledgeable teacher and had a real passion for the subject matter. NJHPDI is a comfortable location to take a class and very well organized. I prefer life application classes and Dr. Quaranta is a great teacher and applies the topic to life"
– Ms. Kristen Kauffman- Barna, Mahwah, NJ
"Very informative and interesting! Dr. Quaranta is clearly passionate about sharing his wealth of knowledge."
- Ms. Janet Daly, Northvale, NJ
"No complaints for sure. Dr. Quaranta is an excellent presenter - his knowledge of the material, his enthusiasm and easy presenting style made it enjoyable."
- Dr. Christopher Fortin, Dover, DE
"Dr. Quaranta is a great presenter. The content was great and well organized."
- Dr. Ira Adler, Marlton, NJ
"Dr. Quaranta has good dominion of the material discussed and his method of delivery is excellent."
- Dr. Jailall Thuraman, South Ozone Park, NY
"Excellent course, great organization and presentation of relevant information."
- Dr. Jacob Wallach, Nyack, NY
"Dr. Quaranta is very knowledgeable and engaging."
- Dr. Christine Sitler, Ossining, NY
“The speaker's delivery was great and the content was practical and right on important facts"
- Dr. Kyung Lee Nam, Palisades Park, NJ
"NJHPDI supplies great programs. Dr. Quaranta is a very effective teacher and communicator"
- Dr. Jaillal Thuraman, St. Lucia
"Location and facility very nice. Amenities good, speaker excellent."
- Ms. Cathy Burke, Suffern, NY