Presenter: Patrick Quaranta, DMD, MS, FICD, FACD
Date: Sunday, April 14, 2019
Time: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Location: 1060 Main Street, Suite 201, River Edge, NJ 07661
CE Credits: 6
AGD Code: 730
Subject: Oral Medicine Participation
*Breakfast & Gourmet Lunch Included
Dr. Quaranta will function as a facilitator rather than a lecturer as the process unfolds. This course will use as the format, the Problem Based Learning (PBL) module with additional data generated using the venue: What we know, What we want to know, Learning issues and Treatment Recommendations. The Biopsychosocial aspects of the patients will also be emphasized.
Treatment planning routine dental care for patients with common and complex medical conditions will also be considered in the discussions.
A hands-on oral cancer technique will be demonstrated by the instructor with special emphasis on examining the extreme posterior aspects of the mouth and oropharynx where the new and increasingly common HPV related oral cancers are identified. The participants will have the opportunity to perform these exams also.
At the completion of this course the participant will, through the powerful process of collaborative learning:
- Understand the principles of the Diagnostic Process
- Appreciate the use and value of “Gold Standard” diagnostics and when their use is indicated and appropriate and, when they should be avoided
- Participate in discussions relating to the Bio-psychosocial aspects of patient treatment planning and care
- Have accessed medical data bases such as PubMed and the Cochrane informatics system.
- Be able to generate treatment regimens for patients who will be receiving Radiation therapy (RT) for oral cancers or are scheduled to receive bisphosphonate therapy
- Be able to generate treatment regimens for patients who have received RT or bisphosphonate therapy
- Develop a working knowledge of the increasingly common autoimmune diseases and subsequent inflammatory soft tissue lesions that patients present with
- Be familiar with some of the follow-up protocols for patients who have various levels of dysplasia indicated on the biopsies they have received for leukoplakia’s or erythroplakia’s
- Have used some of the techniques in examining the extreme posterior aspects of the mouth and oropharynx where HPV related oral cancers my present
Attendees are encouraged to bring their laptop and/or tablet to access medical data bases such as PubMed and the Cochrane informatics system.
About the Speaker:
Patrick Quaranta, DMD, MS, FICD, FACD
Dr. Quaranta graduated from Villanova University in 1968 with a B.A. degree in Philosophy and a B.S. degree in Biological Science. He attended Monmouth University Graduate School of Education during 1968 and 1969.
Dr. Quaranta attended The University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Jersey Dental School where he received his D.M.D. degree in 1972. Immediately after graduation from NJDS he was then invited to become a one-day per week faculty member as an instructor at the New Jersey Dental School and concurrently entered private practice with his father in Highland Park New Jersey. In 1977 he was promoted to Assistant Professor and in 1986 he was promoted to Associate Professor.
Dr. Quaranta, while a faculty member of NJDS in 1991, took on a two-year residency program in TMD disorders and oral medicine/ oro-facial pain. In 1992 Dr. Quaranta entered the Kean University Graduate School of Psychology where he performed research and obtained an M.S. degree in clinical psychology in 1997.
Dr. Quaranta took over his father’s practice in 1989 and after twenty three years of full time practice in 1995 became a three day per week faculty member and spent two years teaching in the Oral Medicine Division of the Department of Oral Pathology, Biology and Diagnostic Sciences. After twenty-seven years in private practice Dr. Quaranta became a full-time faculty member at NJDS in 2000.
In 1998 Dr. Quaranta was inducted into Omicron Kappa Upsilon (OKU), the national dental academic honor society, and in 1999 was offered a fellowship in the Faculty of the International College of Dentists (FICD). On September 26, 2001 Dr.Quaranta was inducted into the Master Educator’ Guild and designated a Master Educator. This was a new University Wide program inaugurated by the new University President, Stuart Cook to recognize achievement and ability in biomedical education. It is a University wide distinction awarded to a member of the six schools within the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. New Jersey Dental School is one of the six schools. Dr. Quaranta was the first member to be elected to this award from the Dental School. The school as now the Rutgers School of Dental Medicine. On April 19, 2002, Dr. Quaranta was accepted as a Fellow in the American College of Dentists (FACD)
Here's What Past Attendees Have Said About This Speaker
"Dr. Quaranta was an entertaining and knowledgeable teacher and had a real passion for the subject matter. NJHPDI is a comfortable location to take a class and very well organized. I prefer life application classes and Dr. Quaranta is a great teacher and applies the topic to life"
– Ms. Kristen Kauffman- Barna, Mahwah, NJ
"Wonderful material, I came just to hear Dr. Quaranta. He is excellent."
- Dr. Jeffrey Mack, Williamstown, NJ
"Location and facility very nice. Amenities good, speaker excellent."
- Ms. Cathy Burke, Suffern, NY
“Dr. Quaranta is great. The lecture is wonderful with lots of valuable information."
- Dr. Inna Budiyanskaya, Brooklyn, NY
"NJHPDI supplies great programs. Dr. Quaranta is a very effective teacher and communicator"
- Dr. Jaillal Thuraman, St. Lucia
“The speaker's delivery was great and the content was practical and right on important facts"
- Dr. Kyung Lee Nam, Palisades Park, NJ
"Dr. Quaranta is very knowledgeable and engaging."
- Dr. Christine Sitler, Ossining, NY
"Excellent course, great organization and presentation of relevant information."
- Dr. Jacob Wallach, Nyack, NY
"Dr. Quaranta has good dominion of the material discussed and his method of delivery is excellent."
- Dr. Jailall Thuraman, South Ozone Park, NY
"Dr. Quaranta is a great presenter. The content was great and well organized."
- Dr. Ira Adler, Marlton, NJ
"No complaints for sure. Dr. Quaranta is an excellent presenter - his knowledge of the material, his enthusiasm and easy presenting style made it enjoyable."
- Dr. Christopher Fortin, Dover, DE
"Very informative and interesting! Dr. Quaranta is clearly passionate about sharing his wealth of knowledge."
- Ms. Janet Daly, Northvale, NJ
Dentist $495 | Staff with Dentist: $295
*limited to 16 attendees