2-Day Continuous Hands-On Course
Presenter: Karl R. Koerner, DDS, MS & Kenneth N. Feiler, DMD, FAGD
Date: Friday & Saturday, January 25 - 26, 2019
Time: 8:00am - 4:45pm (both days)
Sponsored by: Hu-Friedy and Osteogenics
Location: 1060 Main Street, Suite 201, River Edge, NJ 07661
CE Credits: 16
AGD Code: 310
Subject: Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Participation
Breakfast & Gourmet Lunch Included
Are you looking...
- to start doing oral surgical procedures with more confidence?
- to review techniques you have not kept up with?
- to add more oral surgery procedures and techniques to what moderate level of oral surgery you already perform in your practice?
- for the tips and “secrets” that oral surgeons know that you would like to know as well?
- to learn about what instruments and equipment both old and new make oral surgery so much easier?
COME to a comprehensive course that builds over two days of continuous lecture and hands on education so that you will say “WOW!” afterwards and be amazed how much you learned and can now do with confidence!
The presentation will cover:
- The many “secrets” (techniques, knowledge and tips) of oral surgeons that make oral surgery easier, faster and predictable.
- Advanced instruments and procedures as taught in modern oral surgery residency
- Surgical "standards of care"
- Extraction expertise will be taken to the next level for socket preservations, multiple extractions with alveoplasty, frenectomies, exostosis removal and other minor dentoalveolar procedures.
- How to avoid or manage many common complications.
- Bleeding Management
- Managing infections
- Luxators: the world-wide standard of care
- Essentials for 3rd molar anatomy
- Bone Removal
- Bone Grafting
- Flap Resection
- Suturing techniques
- Medications and post op instructions
The following will be performed morning and afternoon both days during the Hands-On portion:
- Go over by hand all the oral surgical instruments, burs and handpieces and their special uses in oral surgery.
- Surgical extraction of a fractured-lower first molar (Includes root retrieval using algorithm)
- A socket bone graft procedure after sectioning and extracting a lower molar. (Bone graft and double barrier membrane.)
- Multiple extractions (4) including "surgical" root removal.
- Alveoplasty of the ridge followed by continuous-lock suturing
- Surgical extraction of an upper first molar with a fractured root and sinus perforation using upper molar sectioning technique
- Techniques that prevent a root from going into the maxillary sinus (embedded within the model) and treating the perforation and socket
- Use of a Headstrom file with floss for additional control of a root tip near the sinus
- Use of grafting materials to treat sinus perforation
- Surgical extraction of an upper third molar vertical impaction.
- Surgical removal of a partial bony mesioangular, lower third molar impaction using a triangular flap and appropriate sectioning technique
- Perform an excisional biopsy
- Perform an "incision and drainage” on infected purulent area
- Perform labial and buccal frenectomies
- Various flap procedures
After performing all these techniques on life like dentoform models, these techniques will then again be done on pig jaws in the afternoon of the second day for a more life-like experience, reinforcing and bringing your abilities to a level where you are ready to perform oral surgical procedures in your practice with a more confidence and greater proficiency.
Many of our attendees have taken this course more than once to keep up with updates or to review the comprehensive amount of information contained in this program.
About the Speaker:
Karl R. Koerner, DDS, MS
Dr. Koerner has presented hundreds of didactic and participation oral surgery courses at all the major U.S. meetings, at the state level, and internationally. His hands-on courses use life-like models on which participants do several different surgeries. He is currently Clinical Director of Oral Surgery at Intermountain Dental Associates in Utah. Dr. Koerner graduated from the University of Washington School of Dentistry, completed a general practice residency in the U.S. Army, and a Masters Degree in Education. Though not an oral surgeon, he has practiced oral surgery only for the last 16 years.
Dr. Koerner is the author of many articles on various aspects of oral surgery for the general dentist and has authored and co-authored several books. He has been featured in DVDs for the profession including three made with Dr. Gordon Christensen on difficult extractions, third molar surgery, and medical emergencies. He is past president of the Utah Dental Association and the Utah Academy of General Dentistry.
He has organized and conducted many humanitarian trips to China (patient treatment and teaching other dentists) since 2006 and speaks fluent Chinese. At the 2010 National AGD Meeting he received the Thaddeus V. Weclew Award for his contributions to General Dentistry and continuing education.
About the Speaker:
Kenneth N. Feiler, DMD, FAGD, AAACD
Dr Feiler is a passionate and interactive presenter dedicated to educating you and your staff to improving your practice success and the health of your patients. Dr Feiler has been practicing advanced surgery in his practice as a comprehensive oral healthcare provider since its inception. Dr. Feiler assists teaching all hands on portions of the many diverse surgical courses at NJHPDI each year. He especially enjoys teaching dentists how to integrate surgical skills as they practically fit into the many areas of multidisciplinary care in general and group practice.
Dr Feiler is an Accredited Member of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. He has also attained fellowships from the Academy of General Dentistry and the National Institute of Dental Research in Bethesda, Maryland. Dr. Kenneth N. Feiler has a large multi-specialty, multi-location group practice he founded over 35 years ago. As a graduate of Rutgers College as well as the Fairleigh Dickinson University School of Dental Medicine, where he later taught prosthodontics and oral diagnosis, he has written and continues to write articles and teach all aspects of oral health. This has expanded into founding and directing the New Jersey Health Professionals Development Institute (NJHPDI), which offers a variety of continuing education courses for dental professionals
Here's What Past Attendees Have Said About This Course:
"Excellent class, 3rd time taking class with Dr. Koerner. I learn something new each time I attend his class. The online link prior to class was excellent information and review. Gives excellent tips on how to manage difficult extractions. I learned about treatment of dry sockets/management buffering, extraction of difficult molars, 3rd molar extraction, suturing, management of bleeding, oral sedation."
– Dr. Roslyn Kellum, Easton, MD
"NJHPDI always does a great job with CE courses. Dr. Koerner gave an excellent presentation on Oral Surgery techniques for GPs. I would definitely recommend this course."
– Dr. Matthew Brown, Jackson, NJ
"Dr. Koerner's Oral Surgery course is my favorite classroom experience at NJHPDI and I have attended many classes over the past 6+ years…The programs are well organized, they start and end as advertised, there are always ample opportunities for questions and discussion...Despite lots of courses and experience in the past, Dr. Koerner taught me there is still a lot that I can learn. I also enjoy Dr. Feiler's participation in the sessions. Dental education never ends, and that is exciting."
– Dr. Cam Witt, Basking Ridge, NJ
"Course is well worth a Friday & Saturday sacrifice. Excellent hands-on experience, excellent lecture material/good handouts."
– Dr. Linda Reichler, Avon, CT
"Hands on was absolutely pertinent. I was amazed at how realistic a model could be! Loved the suturing."
– Dr. Suzanne Ahnquist, Drexel Hill, PA
"Very informative! I wish I would have attended earlier in my career! Dr. Koerner gives an excellent game plan for extractions and complications."
-Dr. Doug Martin, Cathlamet, WA
"Dr. Koerner was excellent in the practical and usable nature of the material. Quality of the models was outstanding. Hands on tactile sensation was helpful"
- Dr. Jonathan Diamond, New York, NY
“Dr. Koerner and Dr. Ken are very good speakers and teachers. Excellent course. Will recommend it to everyone."
- Dr. Pragya Goel, Laredo, TX
"Definitely one of the top 5 courses I've taken in 36 years of post grad education. Extremely helpful"
- Dr. Thomas Mazejy, Rochelle Park, NJ
Advanced Registration $200 off limited to the first 12 attendees to register