Presenters: Scott Parker, DDS & Gwen Smukowski, RDH, BS, MBA
Date: Saturday, September 14, 2019
Time: 8:00am - 4:30pm
Sponsored by: Diamond Dental Supply
Location: The Falls at DoubleTree by Hilton, Mt Laurel, NJ 08054
CE Credits: 7.5
AGD Code: 490
Subject: Periodontics Participation
*Breakfast & Lunch Included
This course is designed as a team approach. It is strongly recommended that doctors, hygienists and administrative leaders all participate.
Not all laser wavelengths are appropriate for all conditions. A good surgical soft tissue laser must be able to cut efficiently thru tissue yet not generate excess heat beyond the surgical margin. Soft tissue lasers should also effectively seal blood vessels, nerve endings, and lymphatics for an improved patient experience. Additionally, non-surgical low level lasers have shown to reduce post-operative discomfort and accelerate healing.
In this course participants will learn how to identify, diagnose, and treat a variety of oral conditions using light based therapy for improved outcomes. By combining laser technologies with enhanced oral cancer detection you will not only increase business revenue, you will vastly improve the patient experience and efficiency of clinical procedures. But, not all lasers are appropriate for all procedures. Participants will learn how to determine which laser is right for their office and will be empowered to move forward with confidence in making the choice that best meets their needs. Attendees will also learn why using an oral cancer screening tool like Velscope is rapidly becoming the standard of care in dentistry.
This program promises to deliver the knowledge needed to heighten diagnostic skills, catapult case acceptance, and reach levels of health once thought unattainable. By the end of the course you will be on your way to a healthier practice-clinically as well as financially. We will:
- Review the paradigm shifts in periodontics that have led to a medical approach to this infectious disease process.
- Introduce essential diagnostic and prognostic testing that identify periodontal pathogens and genetic susceptibility, providing insight to controlling inflammation.
- Discuss the critical role lasers play in current treatment modalities.
- Highlight photo bio-modulation, the healing power of light. Learn how low level lasers stimulate the repair mechanism like you wouldn’t
- Introduce communication techniques guaranteed to increase case acceptance.
- Uncover the hidden economic powerhouse within your hygiene department.
- Create team awareness around the surgical applications of the laser.
- Learn the scientific basis for using lasers in your practice
- Learn about different types of lasers, cold lasers, and oral cancer screening tools
- Learn current methods of diagnosis and treatments using lasers
- Gain an understanding of tissue chromophores and how different lasers target those tissues
- Learn about the safe application of laser energy in your practice
- Gain an understanding of the current standard of care in oral cancer detection
- Learn how to maximize return on investment with lasers
- Learn about cold laser therapy and how it can speed recovery and improve healing
- See first-hand examples from experienced clinicians
- Gain hands on experience with surgical and non-surgical lasers
The afternoon session is a hands-on continuation of the morning session geared to help jump-start the change. This session is designed as a team approach. It is strongly recommended that doctors, hygienists and administrative leaders all participate. Be introduced to lasers in a hands-on pig jaw format. Participants will:
- Learn the art of effective case typing and treatment planning.
- Walk away with the knowledge of how to bill for laser therapies and maximize insurance benefits.
Be introduced to lasers in a hands-on pig jaw format. Try your hands at:
- Pocket bacterial reduction
- Herpetic lesions and aphthous ulcers
- Photo bio-modulation
- Excisions and incisional biopsies
- Simplified implant uncovery
About the Speaker
Scott Parker, DDS
Since graduating from Loma Linda University School of Dentistry, Dr. Scott Parker has committed his career to improving oral health care delivery. His focus has been on prevention, while understanding that advances in technology allow the biomedical industry an opportunity to develop superior alternatives to existing techniques. Early in his career, as a clinical instructor for the Northwest Aesthetic Continuum (previously run through the University of Washington), he recognized that technology, aesthetics, and biology can easily coexist.
“It is the harmony between precision, artistry, and biology that yields a natural result in our body today,” says Dr. Parker.
For over 20 years, Dr. Parker has delivered lectures at local study clubs, state meetings and internationally. In those lectures, he has advocated for increased standards in aesthetic and restorative procedures, minimally invasive techniques, and dental technology. Recognized by his peers for his conservative yet progressive approach, as well as his ability to connect on a personal level, Dr. Parker’s realistic manner of teaching has made him a highly regarded lecturing clinician and consultant.
In 2012, after sixteen years of dental practice experience, Dr. Parker transitioned from clinical dentistry into leadership roles in the dental companies and most recently serves as the Vice President of Sales and Clinical Affairs for Diamond Dental Supply where he supports the hands-on, in-office clinical training using lasers.
Dr. Parker has a deep, hands-on understanding of dental aesthetics, lasers, implants, functional reconstruction, and dental technologies. His professional affiliations include or have included: The Academy of RV Tucker Study Clubs, The American Dental Association, American Society for Dental Aesthetics (accredited), The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, and the Academy of Laser Dentistry. He enjoys spending time with his family and riding his bicycle in the beautiful Pacific Northwest.
About the Speaker
Gwen Smukowski, RDH, BS, MBA
Gwen is the Founder of Continuity Consulting, an educator and coach, a national speaker, as well as clinical hygienist in private practice. Gwen maintains her focus on the development and expansion toward excellence in periodontal care and aesthetic/restorative team support. This focus on excellence has taken her worldwide as an instructor and speaker on the subjects of laser-assisted periodontal health, practice management, leadership development, operational excellence, integrated marketing and team based comprehensive dentistry.
Gwen brings this broad prospective of clinical, managerial and academic experiences to her work. As a consultant and coach, her focus is to inspire and empower dental teams with current research, technology, and the systems necessary to reach new levels of growth and success for their practice.
Here's What Past Attendees Have Said About This Speaker
"Great class! Gwen is a great clinician, instructor and all around gem of the industry. The course provided great content and a group of fellow hygienists to learn with. I would recommend Continuity Consulting to anyone looking to invest in their knowledge and increase the depth and scope of their practice."
"Gwen was very knowledgeable on the subject. The clinical portion was very helpful. I feel confident using the laser in practice. Pleasantly surprised by all the attention to detail during the course."
"This was an amazing course. The information given was well laid out. If I had a question or did not understand, all of my questions were clarified!! I feel very confident in my knowledge and the skills learned during the course. I’m ready to bring it back and implement! Thank you"
"Loved the instructor and enjoyed the location! Gwen is very professional and the information they provided was awesome!"
"Great course, really liked the hands-on portion. Great teaching style by Gwen."
"Very knowledgeable about the topic. I felt comfortable asking questions and thought that it was a great course."
Dentist: $495 | Staff (Accompanying Dentist): $225 | Staff: $295
early registration $50 off by 7/15/19
*limited to 24 attendees